Lee & Garasia, LLC
  • Tel: 732-516-1717
  • Toll free: 888-404-5876
Experience, Accessibility, and Excellence for Over 20 Years
  • "Lee and Garasia are excellent lawyers, punctual and professional. They are dedicated to going above and beyond the usual level of service to meet your client's needs. Their staff is very knowledgeable, friendly and polite. I would highly... recommend this firm to anyone." Read More

  • "I would definitely recommend Mr.Lee and Garasia as an immigration attorney because they did a great job with my case i.e. of Adjustment of Status (i-485). Mr. Lee helped us in each and every detailed information and prepared to the best of it. It was all well done and would like to appreciate." Read More

  • "I would like to thank my lawyer Mr Lee & Garasia and the staff for all immense help and patience throughout this entire process, I really appreciate your constant attention to my case, as well to my questions and my concerns. You've really made this process much more comprehensive to me, which I greatly appreciate." Read More

  • "Mr. Lee and Ms. Garasia did a great job with my renewal of my permanent residence application. They help prepare the paperwork with such a great attention to details and accuracy. I will recommend the law firm every time." Read More

  • "Mr. Lee did a great job with the renewal of my permanent residence application. My case was very time sensitive and they worked really fast on my case with great detail and accuracy. I will recommend the law firm every time." Read More

  • "I would recommend Attorney Paris Lee for anybody who needs immigration consultation. Mr. Lee is THE lawyer who respects and cares clients. Mr. Lee is professional and honest. Bottom line, preparation for the results and NO BS!" Read More

  • "Stalin - Lee did a wonderful job, Got my wife her visa in one year. He is extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I would highly recommend him for all your immigration needs." Read More

  • "Hello. I appoint him as my immigration lawyer and that way he solved my cases was truly amazing. He was so honest and knowledgeable for his work.He solved my all family imigration issues and because of his effort we were able to get done our immigration work done successful. Thank you lee and garasia." Read More

  • "Lee & Garasia stand for accountability and responsibility. They are reliable, honest and are always constructively looking for a solution.. A big thanks :)" Read More

June 2014 Archives

How To Change The Name On My Green Card (And Maybe Avoid Problems with NJ DMV)

One of the most common predicaments that lawful permanent residents encounter are inconsistencies between what their names are and what names are reflected on their "green cards." This may happen, for example, when an individual who becomes a permanent resident subsequently gets married and wishes to assume her husband's last name. Ordinarily, a United States Citizen would just go ahead and take her husband's last name and report the change to all the necessary agencies. However, for the permanent resident, it is important that he/she bear a card that reflects the most up-to-date information. If the green card reflects the original last name, it is not likely-the way that things are going at New Jersey's Motor Vehicle Commission offices these days-that the person will be able to secure a license with the new name without the necessity of first getting a new green card issued with the new name. This type of situation will also happen, as another example, if a permanent resident goes through a name change process to change his/her name, (which in New Jersey involves filing a petition with the Superior Court of New Jersey, publishing the hearing date for the name change, getting the Order signed by a Judge, publishing the Order in the newspaper, and registering the change with the Department of Treasury).

Supreme Court Rules on CSPA Priority Date Issue for Aged-Out Children

The Supreme Court has finally ruled on "priority date retention" issue raised by differing interpretations of a provision within the Child Status Protection Act, also known as the CSPA, for short. Unfortunately, the ruling does not favor "aged out" derivative children left behind. In Scialabba v. DeOsorio, decided on June 9, 2014, the Supreme Court, in a 5-4 decision, held that derivative beneficiaries who were not able to immigrate with their principal beneficiary parents because they turned 21 are not entitled to the same priority date accorded to their parents' cases when their parent(s) subsequently file for them. This Supreme Court ruling overturns the previous California Supreme Court ruling that 8 U.S.C. 1153(h)(3) of the CSPA applies to all aged out derivative beneficiaries and automatically converts their cases to the appropriate category with retention of the original filing, or priority date. The relevant meaning of the text litigated concerns the interplay between 8 USC 1153(1), (2), and (3). The statute reads:

Are There Immigration Consequences to New Jersey 2C:33-2.1 Wandering for Drugs?

Foreign nationals charged with drug-related crimes in New Jersey need to be aware that there may be consequences that extend far beyond the criminal penalties associated with the offense. In the immigration context, a conviction for a crime that involves controlled dangerous substances can not only potentially thwart an application for permanent residence but also result in an individual's removal from the United States.

Is There a 10 Year Immigration Law That Gives You a Green Card?

The number 10 seems to be a momentous number that carries a lot of implications and consequences for many types of immigration applications and contexts. At the outset, it should be clarified that contrary to popular belief, there is no "10 year law" that entitles someone illegally in the United States to apply for a green card. For whatever reason, this is a very popular myth that is circulating amongst immigrant communities. Nonetheless, 10 years is a very significant milestone. Three of the most conventional ways in which the number ten means something occurs within the following situations:

Five Things You Must Discuss With Your Attorney Before Filing the K Visa For Your Fiance

Filing for a fiancé or K visa is a complicated process. There are a number of preliminary questions that need to be identified first before one considers proceeding along this path. If these issues are not addressed early on in the process, they could potentially come back to jeopardize a successful resolution. Some things that need to be brought to an attorney's attention prior to filing are:

How To File For A Visitor Visa Extension

An individual who enters the United States on a tourist or visitor's visa is ordinarily admitted for a period of six months. It is actually up to the Customs and Border Protection Officer at the port of entry how long he/she deems appropriate for the individual to remain in the US. While stays can be given up to six months, it is not uncommon to sometimes receive less than that (in some cases, two weeks or even just a few days). In any event, the foreign national must leave before the designated time or risk falling out of status and accruing "unlawful presence" which could endanger his/her ability to re-enter the United States in the future. Under certain circumstances, an individual who accrues more than six months but less than one year of unlawful presence may trigger a three-year bar to re-entry. If an individual accrues one year or more of "unlawful presence," it's even worse: that person is barred for ten years from re-entry once he/she departs the US.

H-4 Spouses May Soon Be Allowed to Apply For Work Permits

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) recently announced a proposal to allow certain H-4 dependent spouses of H-1Bs to work with legal authorization. Under current regulations, H-4 dependents are not eligible for an Employment Authorization Documents (EAD). Given that most H-1B specialty workers are usually admitted for an initial period of three years, and more often than not, apply for a three year extension, their spouses often find themselves in the unenviable position of staying here in the US without being able to find meaningful work and contribute to their households. Not only has this proven to generate economic hardship for those H-1Bs already in the pipeline for permanent residence, it has actually deterred many skilled and talented workers from pursuing green cards here out of concern for their spouses. The government has finally recognized the detriment caused by the loss of these workers and proposed some interesting revisions that could affect an estimated 100,600 H-4 status holders in the first year of implementation alone.


    • The National Advocates | Top 100 Lawyers
    • Rated by Super Lawyers | Angie Garasia | 5 Years
    • Avvo Rating 10.0 | Superb
    • Client Distinction Award martindale.com | 2016 Martindale-Hubbell Client Distinction Award
    • New Jersey State Bar Association | Paris Lee Chair - Immigration Section 2015-2016
    • Nationaly Recognized | Newsweek Nationwide Showcase | Top Attorneys 2013
    • New Jersey Chapter | American Immigration Lawyers Association | Angie Garasia | Chapter Chair 2015-2016
Email Us For A Response

Start Your Case Evaluation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Lee & Garasia, LLC
190 State Route 27
Edison, NJ 08820

Map & Directions

icon phone732-516-1717 icon phone888-404-5876