Lee & Garasia, LLC
Se Habla Espanol
Tel: 732-516-1717
Toll Free: 888-404-5876
Experience, Accessibility, and Excellence
for Over 20 Years
“When it comes to immigration, I go to Paris and Angie–and trust me, I know a lot of lawyers all over the world.”–Renzo Gracie, Brazilian Jiujitsu and MMA Legend 
Read More
“Lee and Garasia are excellent lawyers, punctual and professional. They are dedicated to going above and beyond the usual level of service to meet your client’s needs. Their staff is very knowledgeable, friendly and polite. I would highly… recommend this firm to anyone.”
Read More
“I would definitely recommend Mr.Lee and Garasia as an immigration attorney because they did a great job with my case i.e. of Adjustment of Status (i-485). Mr. Lee helped us in each and every detailed information and prepared to the best of it. It was all well done and would like to appreciate.”
Read More
“I would like to thank my lawyer Mr Lee & Garasia and the staff for all immense help and patience throughout this entire process, I really appreciate your constant attention to my case, as well to my questions and my concerns. You’ve really made this process much more comprehensive to me, which I greatly appreciate.”
Read More
“Mr. Lee and Ms. Garasia did a great job with my renewal of my permanent residence application. They help prepare the paperwork with such a great attention to details and accuracy. I will recommend the law firm every time.”
Read More
“Mr. Lee did a great job with the renewal of my permanent residence application. My case was very time sensitive and they worked really fast on my case with great detail and accuracy. I will recommend the law firm every time.”
Read More
“I would recommend Attorney Paris Lee for anybody who needs immigration consultation. Mr. Lee is THE lawyer who respects and cares clients. Mr. Lee is professional and honest. Bottom line, preparation for the results and NO BS!”
Read More
“Stalin – Lee did a wonderful job, Got my wife her visa in one year. He is extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I would highly recommend him for all your immigration needs.”
Read More
“Hello. I appoint him as my immigration lawyer and that way he solved my cases was truly amazing. He was so honest and knowledgeable for his work. He solved my all family immigration issues and because of his effort we were able to get done our immigration work done successful. Thank you lee and garasia.”
Read More
“Lee & Garasia stand for accountability and responsibility. They are reliable, honest and are always constructively looking for a solution. A big thanks :)”
Read More

How To Change The Name On My Green Card (And Maybe Avoid Problems with NJ DMV)

| Jun 30, 2014 | Common Immigration Questions and Problems

One of the most common predicaments that lawful permanent residents encounter are inconsistencies between what their names are and what names are reflected on their “green cards.” This may happen, for example, when an individual who becomes a permanent resident subsequently gets married and wishes to assume her husband’s last name. Ordinarily, a United States Citizen would just go ahead and take her husband’s last name and report the change to all the necessary agencies. However, for the permanent resident, it is important that he/she bear a card that reflects the most up-to-date information. If the green card reflects the original last name, it is not likely-the way that things are going at New Jersey’s Motor Vehicle Commission offices these days-that the person will be able to secure a license with the new name without the necessity of first getting a new green card issued with the new name. This type of situation will also happen, as another example, if a permanent resident goes through a name change process to change his/her name, (which in New Jersey involves filing a petition with the Superior Court of New Jersey, publishing the hearing date for the name change, getting the Order signed by a Judge, publishing the Order in the newspaper, and registering the change with the Department of Treasury).

What immigration form is used to apply for a new green card with the new name?

If a name, or for that matter, any biographic information has changed since the issuance of the last card, the permanent resident should apply on Form I-90 for a new card. Applicants are advised: “Submit a copy of the original court order reflecting your new name or a copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree birth certificate, adoption decree, passport or applicable court documents, etc. A marriage certificate or court documents submitted as evidence of name change must have been registered with the proper civil authority.”

Once the individual receives a new green card with the new name, he or she should be able to secure a new license with the proper name (assuming all the other documentary requirements are met, ie., six points of identification.)-insert link

Any other ways to change names?

Permanent residents should be aware that if they are eligible for naturalization, they may also choose to change their names at the naturalization hearing. He/she may indicate the name change on the N-400 application and assuming that the application for citizenship is approved, he/she will receive a Name Change Order that is usually appended to the Naturalization Certificate. The newly minted US Citizen would then show the Name Change Order to all the relevant agencies, ie., New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission, Social Security Administration, etc.

We hope that you have enjoyed this article and learned at least one new thing or tip that you may not have known. To keep informed about the latest developments in immigration law, please subscribe to our blog feed by clicking on the “Subscribe To This Blog’s Feed” button on the right. It is important to understand that the above is only general information and not legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship nor should it be relied upon as legal advice. The law is extremely fact and circumstance sensitive. For an individual legal analysis of your specific legal case, please complete the “Case Evaluation” box to the right of the screen to get in touch with one of our attorneys.

Findlaw Network