On Wed, November 19, 2014, Fox News released some details about President Obama’s 10-point plan on immigration expected to be released sometime this month or early next month. Details are still vague and the Executive Order has yet to be released but an early draft appears to:
· Expand DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) to include illegal and out-of-status individuals who entered the country before January 1, 2010.
· Offer a Deferred Action, similar to what is available to people who qualify for DACA, to parents of US Citizens and lawful permanent residents. If this is implemented, millions of adults will receive a reprieve from deportation and possibly be able to apply for work permits and travel authorization.
· Offer a 50% discount off the N-400 filing fee to encourage more eligible people to apply for citizenship
· Put an end to the Secure Communities Program
· Offer an early path to citizenship for technology workers through a State Department immigrant visa program
· Revise removal priorities to put an even greater emphasis on criminals convicted of serious crimes.
If you or someone you know think that you may benefit from President Obama’s Executive Action, we encourage you to contact our office. We will thoroughly evaluate your legal situation and help you to determine whether you will qualify for any proposed program. There will be specific legal requirements that need to be satisfied and it takes a legally trained eye with extensive experience in immigration to spot and identify potential issues and problems. We have been practicing for more than 15 years and know what we are doing. We have three attorneys as well as a former US Immigration Officer on our staff. Do not trust your future to a notario or an attorney who does not practice immigration law exclusively. Contact us now to get a realistic legal opinion on how to protect your future here.