Lee & Garasia, LLC
Se Habla Espanol
Tel: 732-516-1717
Toll Free: 888-404-5876
Experience, Accessibility, and Excellence
for Over 20 Years
“When it comes to immigration, I go to Paris and Angie–and trust me, I know a lot of lawyers all over the world.”–Renzo Gracie, Brazilian Jiujitsu and MMA Legend 
Read More
“Lee and Garasia are excellent lawyers, punctual and professional. They are dedicated to going above and beyond the usual level of service to meet your client’s needs. Their staff is very knowledgeable, friendly and polite. I would highly… recommend this firm to anyone.”
Read More
“I would definitely recommend Mr.Lee and Garasia as an immigration attorney because they did a great job with my case i.e. of Adjustment of Status (i-485). Mr. Lee helped us in each and every detailed information and prepared to the best of it. It was all well done and would like to appreciate.”
Read More
“I would like to thank my lawyer Mr Lee & Garasia and the staff for all immense help and patience throughout this entire process, I really appreciate your constant attention to my case, as well to my questions and my concerns. You’ve really made this process much more comprehensive to me, which I greatly appreciate.”
Read More
“Mr. Lee and Ms. Garasia did a great job with my renewal of my permanent residence application. They help prepare the paperwork with such a great attention to details and accuracy. I will recommend the law firm every time.”
Read More
“Mr. Lee did a great job with the renewal of my permanent residence application. My case was very time sensitive and they worked really fast on my case with great detail and accuracy. I will recommend the law firm every time.”
Read More
“I would recommend Attorney Paris Lee for anybody who needs immigration consultation. Mr. Lee is THE lawyer who respects and cares clients. Mr. Lee is professional and honest. Bottom line, preparation for the results and NO BS!”
Read More
“Stalin – Lee did a wonderful job, Got my wife her visa in one year. He is extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I would highly recommend him for all your immigration needs.”
Read More
“Hello. I appoint him as my immigration lawyer and that way he solved my cases was truly amazing. He was so honest and knowledgeable for his work. He solved my all family immigration issues and because of his effort we were able to get done our immigration work done successful. Thank you lee and garasia.”
Read More
“Lee & Garasia stand for accountability and responsibility. They are reliable, honest and are always constructively looking for a solution. A big thanks :)”
Read More

What If My Passport and Visa Are Lost Or Stolen?

| Jan 8, 2018 | Visa Issues

During the Christmas vacation, a number of our clients had the unfortunate experience of either losing or having their passports stolen. Their next natural question was, what was their status? A few were understandably concerned (given the current atmosphere) that they might be deported. Some also h ad previously scheduled trips/cruises abroad that they had eagerly been looking forward to.

Visa Is Not The Same As I-94

The important concept to understand is that a visa issued by a United States consulate is an entry document that authorizes an individual to enter the country (subject to the discretion of Customs and Border Protection). Once a foreign national is admitted into the US, the visa in and of itself does not determine how long a person is authorized to stay. The authorized period of stay is instead reflected by a person’s I-94, which, these days, is often digitized and can be accessed via the Customs and Border Protection website (www.cbp.gov). Therefore, a foreign national does not become illegal or out of status if the visa is lost, stolen, or misplaced. As long as he/she is within the authorized period of stay granted by the Department of Homeland Security, the person is allowed to remain. (Incidentally, this is also why a person within the authorized period of stay can legally stay here even if one’s visa has expired.) Of course, the individual should still take the necessary steps to redress the situation by

· Filing a police report

· Notifying one’s embassy that the passport has been lost/stolen and apply for a replacement

· Report the lost/stolen visa to the consular section of the consulate/embassy where the visa was initially granted

· If one does not have paper proof of the I-94, take steps to retrieve a replacement/duplicate I-94.

One Must Have A Visa To Re-enter the US

Notwithstanding the above, an individual must be mindful that a visa (as well as a valid passport) are required to re-enter the country. In other words, if a foreign national departs the United States for any reason, the I-94 no longer dictates or serves as an entry document: the applicant will need to present a valid visa for inspection. Unfortunately, since visas are issued under the authority of the Department of State, only a US consulate or embassy abroad can issue one. One does not apply for a replacement visa with the Department of Homeland Security (ie., USCIS or CBP). Accordingly, if one does need to travel outside the US, it is crucial that the above steps be taken immediately so that one has sufficient time to apply for the replacement visa outside the US. Failure to do so can not only delay the process but more importantly, endanger an individual’s ability to come back into the United States, even if one were previously here on a perfectly valid visa.

For more information on visas and I-94s, please contact our office. The above is general information only and not to be relied upon as legal advice. It does not create an attorney client relationship nor should it be relied upon as advice in lieu of consultation with an attorney. 

Findlaw Network