Lee & Garasia, LLC
  • Tel: 732-516-1717
  • Toll free: 888-404-5876
Experience, Accessibility, and Excellence for Over 20 Years
  • "Lee and Garasia are excellent lawyers, punctual and professional. They are dedicated to going above and beyond the usual level of service to meet your client's needs. Their staff is very knowledgeable, friendly and polite. I would highly... recommend this firm to anyone." Read More

  • "I would definitely recommend Mr.Lee and Garasia as an immigration attorney because they did a great job with my case i.e. of Adjustment of Status (i-485). Mr. Lee helped us in each and every detailed information and prepared to the best of it. It was all well done and would like to appreciate." Read More

  • "I would like to thank my lawyer Mr Lee & Garasia and the staff for all immense help and patience throughout this entire process, I really appreciate your constant attention to my case, as well to my questions and my concerns. You've really made this process much more comprehensive to me, which I greatly appreciate." Read More

  • "Mr. Lee and Ms. Garasia did a great job with my renewal of my permanent residence application. They help prepare the paperwork with such a great attention to details and accuracy. I will recommend the law firm every time." Read More

  • "Mr. Lee did a great job with the renewal of my permanent residence application. My case was very time sensitive and they worked really fast on my case with great detail and accuracy. I will recommend the law firm every time." Read More

  • "I would recommend Attorney Paris Lee for anybody who needs immigration consultation. Mr. Lee is THE lawyer who respects and cares clients. Mr. Lee is professional and honest. Bottom line, preparation for the results and NO BS!" Read More

  • "Stalin - Lee did a wonderful job, Got my wife her visa in one year. He is extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I would highly recommend him for all your immigration needs." Read More

  • "Hello. I appoint him as my immigration lawyer and that way he solved my cases was truly amazing. He was so honest and knowledgeable for his work.He solved my all family immigration issues and because of his effort we were able to get done our immigration work done successful. Thank you lee and garasia." Read More

  • "Lee & Garasia stand for accountability and responsibility. They are reliable, honest and are always constructively looking for a solution. A big thanks :)" Read More

How Can I Prove My Status While My Green Card Renewal Is Processing?

One common misconception that many permanent residents believe is that permanent residence expires when their cards expire. This is not necessarily accurate. It is true that conditional permanent residents are in serious jeopardy of losing their status if they fail to file the I-751 to remove the conditions on their green cards before the 2nd anniversary of when their cases were approved. Otherwise, however, a green card holder does not lose his/her status upon expiration of the permanent resident card. As a practical matter, of course, not having a valid green card in one's possession can lead to a host of problems including not being able to renew one's driver license or furnish current proof of one's immigration status to an employer. Consequently, it is always prudent to consider filing to renew one's green card as early as possible, assuming there are no complicating legal issues, ie., criminal convictions. An application can be filed as early as six months prior to the card expiring.

Individuals should be aware that I-90 processing can be lengthy. Applicants are normally summoned for a fingerprint appointment four to six weeks after filing, after which they may not receive the actual card until many months later. It is not unheard of for some cases to take eight months or longer. People often wonder what happens in the interim while their petitions are being processed if they have to travel, etc. How can they prove they are legal while their case is in limbo? Fortunately, during the I-90 process, USCIS will ordinarily furnish an extension sticker to the applicant which will temporarily extend the applicant's green card while the new card is being generated. The extension sticker is normally given and affixed to the back of the expiring card by an Application Support Center at the fingerprint (or "biometric") appointment.

If, for whatever reason, an applicant is not able to secure an extension sticker, an individual may need to book an INFOPASS appointment to go to a local USCIS office to receive an "ADIT" stamp (ADIT standing for Alien Documentation, Identification and Telecommunication Stamp; this is also known as an I-551 stamp). Under the current protocol, individuals are no longer able to schedule their own appointments but must call 1-800-375-5283. With this stamp, as well as proof that the I-90 has been filed, an individual should be able to renew one's driver license as well as travel internationally (assuming, of course, there are no underlying admissibility issues).

For more information on how to renew a green card as well as issues that may make the process problematic, please contact our office for a confidential consultation.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


    • Avvo Rating 10.0 | Superb
    • Client Distinction Award | 2016 Martindale-Hubbell Client Distinction Award
    • New Jersey State Bar Association | Paris Lee Chair - Immigration Section 2015-2016
    • Nationally Recognized | Newsweek Nationwide Showcase | Top Attorneys 2013
    • New Jersey Chapter | American Immigration Lawyers Association | Angie Garasia | Chapter Chair 2015-2016
Email Us For A Response

Start Your Case Evaluation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Lee & Garasia, LLC
190 State Route 27
Edison, NJ 08820

Map & Directions

icon phone732-516-1717 icon phone888-404-5876