Lee & Garasia, LLC
  • Tel: 732-516-1717
  • Toll free: 888-404-5876
Experience, Accessibility, and Excellence for Over 20 Years
  • "Lee and Garasia are excellent lawyers, punctual and professional. They are dedicated to going above and beyond the usual level of service to meet your client's needs. Their staff is very knowledgeable, friendly and polite. I would highly... recommend this firm to anyone." Read More

  • "I would definitely recommend Mr.Lee and Garasia as an immigration attorney because they did a great job with my case i.e. of Adjustment of Status (i-485). Mr. Lee helped us in each and every detailed information and prepared to the best of it. It was all well done and would like to appreciate." Read More

  • "I would like to thank my lawyer Mr Lee & Garasia and the staff for all immense help and patience throughout this entire process, I really appreciate your constant attention to my case, as well to my questions and my concerns. You've really made this process much more comprehensive to me, which I greatly appreciate." Read More

  • "Mr. Lee and Ms. Garasia did a great job with my renewal of my permanent residence application. They help prepare the paperwork with such a great attention to details and accuracy. I will recommend the law firm every time." Read More

  • "Mr. Lee did a great job with the renewal of my permanent residence application. My case was very time sensitive and they worked really fast on my case with great detail and accuracy. I will recommend the law firm every time." Read More

  • "I would recommend Attorney Paris Lee for anybody who needs immigration consultation. Mr. Lee is THE lawyer who respects and cares clients. Mr. Lee is professional and honest. Bottom line, preparation for the results and NO BS!" Read More

  • "Stalin - Lee did a wonderful job, Got my wife her visa in one year. He is extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I would highly recommend him for all your immigration needs." Read More

  • "Hello. I appoint him as my immigration lawyer and that way he solved my cases was truly amazing. He was so honest and knowledgeable for his work.He solved my all family immigration issues and because of his effort we were able to get done our immigration work done successful. Thank you lee and garasia." Read More

  • "Lee & Garasia stand for accountability and responsibility. They are reliable, honest and are always constructively looking for a solution. A big thanks :)" Read More

Three Things You Need To Know Before You Get Married to Someone Abroad

If you are intending on getting married to your loved one abroad and then filing immigration paperwork for his/her permanent residence so that the both of you can spend the rest of your married life here in the United States, the best thing that you can do is educate yourself before you actually book that plane ticket and get married. Once you get married, there are legal immigration consequences that extend beyond the normal ones already incurred by the actual act. Here are three things you need to know before you make those marriage plans:

1) You Will Not Be Able to File for Your Loved One as a Fiancé. As an alternative to a marriage visa, some individuals pursue a K-1 fiancé visa for their loved ones, which in some cases, may be faster in terms of getting the person physically here. However, should you get married, you will no longer be able to file for your loved one as a fiancé. You will have to file for your spouse using the I-130. Consular filing cases, on average, can sometimes take up to one year.

2) If you want to file, it is extremely important that you ensure that both parties are legally free to marry and that you follow the legal procedures in the foreign country to get married. USCIS will only recognize marriages that are valid, so if the foreign marriage is not valid due to some defect or failure to follow procedure, there will not be an underlying basis to support the marriage visa. Additionally, if, for example, either one of you is still technically married to someone else, those marriages must of course be dissolved.

3) He/she will probably not be able to accompany you back to the United States. In most cases, the petitioner needs to file the I-130 Petition for Alien Relative with USCIS here in the United States. Unless your spouse already has some sort of visa, whether it be an H-1B (professional), F-1 (student), or B-2 (visitor for business or pleasure), it will usually be difficult for him or her to travel back with you right away if you plan on returning to the United States soon after the marriage. This is due to the fact that most consular officers will not issue non-immigrant visas to those that they suspect might have immigrant intent (there is an exception for H-1s, which allow for "dual intent"). In other words, a consular officer may find it difficult to believe that your spouse will only come to the US temporarily and then go back. It is more likely the case that he or she will enter the US and then try to stay, since the both of you are already married and presumably are not going to be living apart. Given this, your spouse will usually not be able to enter the US except through the immigrant spousal visa or perhaps, if you are lucky, the K-3 visa, which is a non-immigrant visa for a foreign spouse of a United States citizen who has already filed an I-130, which remains pending.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


    • Avvo Rating 10.0 | Superb
    • Client Distinction Award | 2016 Martindale-Hubbell Client Distinction Award
    • New Jersey State Bar Association | Paris Lee Chair - Immigration Section 2015-2016
    • Nationally Recognized | Newsweek Nationwide Showcase | Top Attorneys 2013
    • New Jersey Chapter | American Immigration Lawyers Association | Angie Garasia | Chapter Chair 2015-2016
Email Us For A Response

Start Your Case Evaluation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Lee & Garasia, LLC
190 State Route 27
Edison, NJ 08820

Map & Directions

icon phone732-516-1717 icon phone888-404-5876