Lee & Garasia, LLC
  • Tel: 732-516-1717
  • Toll free: 888-404-5876
Experience, Accessibility, and Excellence for Over 20 Years
  • "Lee and Garasia are excellent lawyers, punctual and professional. They are dedicated to going above and beyond the usual level of service to meet your client's needs. Their staff is very knowledgeable, friendly and polite. I would highly... recommend this firm to anyone." Read More

  • "I would definitely recommend Mr.Lee and Garasia as an immigration attorney because they did a great job with my case i.e. of Adjustment of Status (i-485). Mr. Lee helped us in each and every detailed information and prepared to the best of it. It was all well done and would like to appreciate." Read More

  • "I would like to thank my lawyer Mr Lee & Garasia and the staff for all immense help and patience throughout this entire process, I really appreciate your constant attention to my case, as well to my questions and my concerns. You've really made this process much more comprehensive to me, which I greatly appreciate." Read More

  • "Mr. Lee and Ms. Garasia did a great job with my renewal of my permanent residence application. They help prepare the paperwork with such a great attention to details and accuracy. I will recommend the law firm every time." Read More

  • "Mr. Lee did a great job with the renewal of my permanent residence application. My case was very time sensitive and they worked really fast on my case with great detail and accuracy. I will recommend the law firm every time." Read More

  • "I would recommend Attorney Paris Lee for anybody who needs immigration consultation. Mr. Lee is THE lawyer who respects and cares clients. Mr. Lee is professional and honest. Bottom line, preparation for the results and NO BS!" Read More

  • "Stalin - Lee did a wonderful job, Got my wife her visa in one year. He is extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I would highly recommend him for all your immigration needs." Read More

  • "Hello. I appoint him as my immigration lawyer and that way he solved my cases was truly amazing. He was so honest and knowledgeable for his work.He solved my all family immigration issues and because of his effort we were able to get done our immigration work done successful. Thank you lee and garasia." Read More

  • "Lee & Garasia stand for accountability and responsibility. They are reliable, honest and are always constructively looking for a solution. A big thanks :)" Read More

November 2013 Archives

What is the Child Status Protection Act (CSPA) and How Does It Work?

In 2002, the Child Status Protection Act (CSPA) was signed into law, providing much needed relief to beneficiaries of petitions who would otherwise not be able to immigrate because they had turned 21. Through application of the CSPA, many beneficiaries of family-based, employment-based, and some humanitarian petitions (including asylees and refugees) are able to preserve their status as children under the immigration law even though their biological ages may well be over the age of 21 (a "child" is an unmarried son or daughter under the age of 21).

New USCIS Parole In Place Memo May Help Thousands of Illegal Immigrants Apply for Green Card

A very important USCIS Policy Memorandum (PM-602-0091) was issued on November 15, 2013 that for inexplicable reasons, has not received much attention, although it potentially affects thousands of undocumented or "illegal" aliens throughout the United States. The Subject is "Parole of Spouses, Children and Parents of Active Duty Members of the U.S. Armed Forces, the Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve, and Former Members of the U.S. Armed Forces or Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve and the Effect of Parole on Inadmissibility under Immigration and Nationality Act 212(a)(6)(A)(i). "

How NOT to File For US Citizenship: Common Naturalization Application Mistakes

In order to become a US Citizen, a Lawful Permanent Resident will, under most circumstances, have to apply on the N-400 Form to become one through the naturalization process. The form can be deceptively simple, and sometimes, important issues may be overlooked or ignored by an applicant.

How Do I Get Out On Bond If I am Arrested By Immigration?

This is one of the nightmare questions that most undocumented and illegal aliens in this country carry with them daily. And with good reason. Despite all the rhetoric about comprehensive immigration reform, the statistics bear out a starker reality: namely, that removal or deportation of aliens is at record numbers. The removal process, these days, is a long one, with clogged court dockets in almost every state.

Tips for Filing Your Fiance's K Visa

The first thing that needs to be clarified is whether your foreign born fiancé is actually here in the United States or abroad. For purposes of this article, let's assume that he/she is not residing here but living abroad in his/her native country. Under these circumstances, you can't technically file for his/her her "green card," or permanent residence until the both of you wed and establish a legal relationship as spouses. However, this does not mean that you are out of options. There is K-1 Visa or Fiancé Visa, and there can be any number of reasons why the two of you might want to pursue such a visa instead. For example, it may be that you are just not yet ready to wed abroad, or maybe you cannot make plans to travel abroad to get married. Under certain circumstances, it may be even be quicker for your loved one to get here on such a visa as opposed to a marriage-based spouse visa. Now you would only want to consider this option if you are not yet married and more importantly, will not get married while the process is pending, which can take many months. Unfortunately, if you were to sponsor your fiancé for a K-1, and then get married before the visa is granted, your fiancé would no longer be eligible for the fiancé visa since he/she is no longer your fiancé. As logical as this sounds, many people out of frustration and poor planning, have made this very mistake and have had to start an entirely new and different process to bring their loved here to America. Also, the both of you must, of course, be legally free to marry. In other words, if your loved one is technically still married to someone, he/she cannot legally marry you until he/she has first dissolved the current marriage. You would not want to initiate the fiancé immigration process until the divorce is legally finalized. Additionally, USCIS generally requires that proof that the both of you have met within the past two years. While there are limited exceptions, the best course of action would be to actually meet and retain proof that you have met the person you intend on spending the rest of your life with.

How much does it cost to file for my husband's or wife's green card?

The short and simple answer is, "It depends." There are a number of preliminary questions that have to be addressed first: is the person eligible for a green card, or permanent residence? Is the Petitioner someone who is eligible to file for that person? Is there a priority date? If so, what is the priority date? Is the priority date current? Assuming that a United States citizen wants to file for his/her spouse, where is the spouse? Location of the spouse, among other things, will determine whether the intending immigrant will pursue a consular filing case (where he/she appears for a visa interview in the person's native country) or an adjustment of status case (where the person files all the necessary paperwork from within the United States).

Does The New Immigration Law Contain Any Changes To The Waiver Process?

Last week saw the introduction of a new immigration bill H.R. 3431 (entitled "American Families United Act"). A bipartisan bill co-sponsored by Rep. Beto O'Rourke (D-Texas) and Rep. Steve Pearce (R-NM), it surprisingly has not received as much attention as one would think, considering some of the significant and important changes it seeks to implement. By no means is this a comprehensive, sweeping type of reform bill, which is perhaps why it has not generated much media coverage. The bill even makes clear that it is not some sort of legalization program. However, this is progressive, reform minded legislation. If it can make its way through an intractable, deadlocked Congress, it would potentially usher in important changes to an existing system that everyone recognizes is not working. The changes in the bill specifically address hardship, and would provide much needed room for fairness to spouses, parents and children of US citizens, as it aims to do.


    • The National Advocates | Top 100 Lawyers
    • Rated by Super Lawyers | Angie Garasia | 5 Years
    • Avvo Rating 10.0 | Superb
    • Client Distinction Award martindale.com | 2016 Martindale-Hubbell Client Distinction Award
    • New Jersey State Bar Association | Paris Lee Chair - Immigration Section 2015-2016
    • Nationally Recognized | Newsweek Nationwide Showcase | Top Attorneys 2013
    • New Jersey Chapter | American Immigration Lawyers Association | Angie Garasia | Chapter Chair 2015-2016
Email Us For A Response

Start Your Case Evaluation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Lee & Garasia, LLC
190 State Route 27
Edison, NJ 08820

Map & Directions

icon phone732-516-1717 icon phone888-404-5876