Lee & Garasia, LLC
Tel: 732-516-1717
Toll Free: 888-404-5876
Experience, Accessibility, and Excellence
for Over 20 Years
“When it comes to immigration, I go to Paris and Angie–and trust me, I know a lot of lawyers all over the world.”–Renzo Gracie, Brazilian Jiujitsu and MMA Legend 
Read More
“Lee and Garasia are excellent lawyers, punctual and professional. They are dedicated to going above and beyond the usual level of service to meet your client’s needs. Their staff is very knowledgeable, friendly and polite. I would highly… recommend this firm to anyone.”
Read More
“I would definitely recommend Mr.Lee and Garasia as an immigration attorney because they did a great job with my case i.e. of Adjustment of Status (i-485). Mr. Lee helped us in each and every detailed information and prepared to the best of it. It was all well done and would like to appreciate.”
Read More
“I would like to thank my lawyer Mr Lee & Garasia and the staff for all immense help and patience throughout this entire process, I really appreciate your constant attention to my case, as well to my questions and my concerns. You’ve really made this process much more comprehensive to me, which I greatly appreciate.”
Read More
“Mr. Lee and Ms. Garasia did a great job with my renewal of my permanent residence application. They help prepare the paperwork with such a great attention to details and accuracy. I will recommend the law firm every time.”
Read More
“Mr. Lee did a great job with the renewal of my permanent residence application. My case was very time sensitive and they worked really fast on my case with great detail and accuracy. I will recommend the law firm every time.”
Read More
“I would recommend Attorney Paris Lee for anybody who needs immigration consultation. Mr. Lee is THE lawyer who respects and cares clients. Mr. Lee is professional and honest. Bottom line, preparation for the results and NO BS!”
Read More
“Stalin – Lee did a wonderful job, Got my wife her visa in one year. He is extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I would highly recommend him for all your immigration needs.”
Read More
“Hello. I appoint him as my immigration lawyer and that way he solved my cases was truly amazing. He was so honest and knowledgeable for his work. He solved my all family immigration issues and because of his effort we were able to get done our immigration work done successful. Thank you lee and garasia.”
Read More
“Lee & Garasia stand for accountability and responsibility. They are reliable, honest and are always constructively looking for a solution. A big thanks :)”
Read More

How To File For A Visitor Visa Extension

| Jun 5, 2014 | Common Immigration Questions and Problems, Visa Issues

An individual who enters the United States on a tourist or visitor’s visa is ordinarily admitted for a period of six months. It is actually up to the Customs and Border Protection Officer at the port of entry how long he/she deems appropriate for the individual to remain in the US. While stays can be given up to six months, it is not uncommon to sometimes receive less than that (in some cases, two weeks or even just a few days). In any event, the foreign national must leave before the designated time or risk falling out of status and accruing “unlawful presence” which could endanger his/her ability to re-enter the United States in the future. Under certain circumstances, an individual who accrues more than six months but less than one year of unlawful presence may trigger a three-year bar to re-entry. If an individual accrues one year or more of “unlawful presence,” it’s even worse: that person is barred for ten years from re-entry once he/she departs the US.

What does one do if one needs to stay longer?

A visitor’s visa, as most of us recognize, is not a “green card.” Nor is it a pass to stay as long as one wants in the U.S. It is legal permission granted by the US government to the foreign national individual to stay in the US for a brief period of time to accomplish whatever purpose he/she stated at the time of visa application, whether it is to attend a business conference or visit friends or family.

There is a mechanism to apply for a longer period of stay if necessary once that person is in the US and his authorized period of admission is coming to an end. The individual needs to apply for an extension on Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status. As of this May 2014, the filing fee is $290.

What is Required?

First and foremost, the application should be filed before the current period of admission expires, usually at least 45 days prior to your last day. Filing the application after your authorized stay has already expired will most likely result in a denial, although there are some limited exceptions.

The following is normally also required:

· Form I-94. Note that these days, paper I-94s are no longer given, as the process has become digitized. Applicants may need to go onto the Customs and Border Protection website to retiree a digital printout of their I-94.

· Copy of Visa and Passport

When our office prepares the application, we also attach an explanation detailing the reason for the extension and attach whatever documentary proof is available to support it. In some cases, we also attach further proof of the individual’s non-immigrant intent, such as ties to the applicant’s native country, ie., bank statements, assets, property, job letter, etc.

It is important to understand that not every visitor to the United States will be eligible to extend his/her stay. For example, those who enter under the Visa Waiver Program are subject to certain restrictions that prevent them from changing their status or extending their stay of 90 days.

Moreover, this is not meant to be a substitute for the actual instructions nor legal advice. If you or someone you know needs advice regarding the viability of an extension application and what the legal requirements are, please either refer to the official instructions themselves or consult with an immigration attorney.

We hope that you have enjoyed this article and learned at least one new thing or tip that you may not have known. To keep informed about the latest developments in immigration law, please subscribe to our blog feed by clicking on the “Subscribe To This Blog’s Feed” button on the right. It is important to understand that the above is only general information and not legal advice. The law is extremely fact and circumstance sensitive. For an individual legal analysis of your specific legal case, please complete the “Case Evaluation” box to the right of the screen to get in touch with one of our attorneys.

Findlaw Network