Lee & Garasia, LLC
Tel: 732-516-1717
Toll Free: 888-404-5876
Experience, Accessibility, and Excellence
for Over 20 Years
“When it comes to immigration, I go to Paris and Angie–and trust me, I know a lot of lawyers all over the world.”–Renzo Gracie, Brazilian Jiujitsu and MMA Legend 
Read More
“Lee and Garasia are excellent lawyers, punctual and professional. They are dedicated to going above and beyond the usual level of service to meet your client’s needs. Their staff is very knowledgeable, friendly and polite. I would highly… recommend this firm to anyone.”
Read More
“I would definitely recommend Mr.Lee and Garasia as an immigration attorney because they did a great job with my case i.e. of Adjustment of Status (i-485). Mr. Lee helped us in each and every detailed information and prepared to the best of it. It was all well done and would like to appreciate.”
Read More
“I would like to thank my lawyer Mr Lee & Garasia and the staff for all immense help and patience throughout this entire process, I really appreciate your constant attention to my case, as well to my questions and my concerns. You’ve really made this process much more comprehensive to me, which I greatly appreciate.”
Read More
“Mr. Lee and Ms. Garasia did a great job with my renewal of my permanent residence application. They help prepare the paperwork with such a great attention to details and accuracy. I will recommend the law firm every time.”
Read More
“Mr. Lee did a great job with the renewal of my permanent residence application. My case was very time sensitive and they worked really fast on my case with great detail and accuracy. I will recommend the law firm every time.”
Read More
“I would recommend Attorney Paris Lee for anybody who needs immigration consultation. Mr. Lee is THE lawyer who respects and cares clients. Mr. Lee is professional and honest. Bottom line, preparation for the results and NO BS!”
Read More
“Stalin – Lee did a wonderful job, Got my wife her visa in one year. He is extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I would highly recommend him for all your immigration needs.”
Read More
“Hello. I appoint him as my immigration lawyer and that way he solved my cases was truly amazing. He was so honest and knowledgeable for his work. He solved my all family immigration issues and because of his effort we were able to get done our immigration work done successful. Thank you lee and garasia.”
Read More
“Lee & Garasia stand for accountability and responsibility. They are reliable, honest and are always constructively looking for a solution. A big thanks :)”
Read More

State Residency Filing Requirements for Citizenship | N-400 Issues

| Jan 17, 2017 | Citizenship and Naturalization

Many prospective applicants for naturalization are under the mistaken impression that they may choose where to be examined for citizenship. While naturalization is a federal matter, there are nevertheless specific rules regarding which district office has jurisdiction over a person’s N-400 application. Therefore, it is not as simple as someone living in New Jersey to desire to have the test and oath administered in Florida because he/she prefers that state or has some sentimental attachment to it. The general rule, as found in the Code of Federal Regulations (“CFR”) indicates that an applicant must file in the State that has jurisdiction over his/her place of residence; moreover, the applicant must have resided in the State for at least three months prior to filing. Put simply, this means that the applicant must live in the state for at least three months before filing in that state. If someone has just moved to New Jersey and resided here for only one month, for instance, the three-month residency requirement has not yet been satisfied.

What if I move after I file my N-400 application?

It is not uncommon for applicants to have to move for work or personal reasons to another state after they have already filed for naturalization. Where, technically, will the interview be held? Fortunately, USCIS has a provision to cover this type of situation: since all permanent residents are obligated to inform USCIS of any change of address, the N-400 file should be transferred to the new office that has jurisdiction over the case. So, for example, if someone initially filed a case while living in New York but subsequently moved to New Jersey, the case should be transferred to the New Jersey District Office in Newark or Mount Laurel.

What if I am a student?

Student’s residences for N-400 purposes can sometimes be tricky because it is unclear whether they are “residing” at the school itself or at home, which may be in a different state. In these types of scenarios, students may elect either to file where the school is located, or in the state of their home residence if it can be demonstrated that they are financially dependent on their parents both at the time of filing and during the naturalization process.

What if I have traveled outside the US?

Applicants are sometimes confused whether they are subject to the three-month waiting period if they have just returned from a trip abroad. According to the USCIS policy manual, applicants do not have to wait the three additional months if they are returning to the same residence where they resided prior to departing-assuming that they have not abandoned their residence, and assuming three months have elapsed from when they first established their residence in that state. In other words, the brief absence outside the US will not interrupt the three-month residency. In contrast, if an applicant has traveled abroad and then relocated to a new residence in a different state, he or she will have three months as per the general rule.

While these rules may seem trivial, they nevertheless constitute important requirements that must be satisfied before an application for naturalization can be adjudicated. Failure to follow these rules can result in a case being rejected or worse, possibly accepted for filing and then denied at the interview. For more information on naturalization jurisdictional requirements, please contact our office. The foregoing is general information only. It is not legal advice nor intended to substitute for an attorney-client relationship.

Findlaw Network