Lee & Garasia, LLC
Se Habla Espanol
Tel: 732-516-1717
Toll Free: 888-404-5876
Experience, Accessibility, and Excellence
for Over 20 Years
“When it comes to immigration, I go to Paris and Angie–and trust me, I know a lot of lawyers all over the world.”–Renzo Gracie, Brazilian Jiujitsu and MMA Legend 
Read More
“Lee and Garasia are excellent lawyers, punctual and professional. They are dedicated to going above and beyond the usual level of service to meet your client’s needs. Their staff is very knowledgeable, friendly and polite. I would highly… recommend this firm to anyone.”
Read More
“I would definitely recommend Mr.Lee and Garasia as an immigration attorney because they did a great job with my case i.e. of Adjustment of Status (i-485). Mr. Lee helped us in each and every detailed information and prepared to the best of it. It was all well done and would like to appreciate.”
Read More
“I would like to thank my lawyer Mr Lee & Garasia and the staff for all immense help and patience throughout this entire process, I really appreciate your constant attention to my case, as well to my questions and my concerns. You’ve really made this process much more comprehensive to me, which I greatly appreciate.”
Read More
“Mr. Lee and Ms. Garasia did a great job with my renewal of my permanent residence application. They help prepare the paperwork with such a great attention to details and accuracy. I will recommend the law firm every time.”
Read More
“Mr. Lee did a great job with the renewal of my permanent residence application. My case was very time sensitive and they worked really fast on my case with great detail and accuracy. I will recommend the law firm every time.”
Read More
“I would recommend Attorney Paris Lee for anybody who needs immigration consultation. Mr. Lee is THE lawyer who respects and cares clients. Mr. Lee is professional and honest. Bottom line, preparation for the results and NO BS!”
Read More
“Stalin – Lee did a wonderful job, Got my wife her visa in one year. He is extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I would highly recommend him for all your immigration needs.”
Read More
“Hello. I appoint him as my immigration lawyer and that way he solved my cases was truly amazing. He was so honest and knowledgeable for his work. He solved my all family immigration issues and because of his effort we were able to get done our immigration work done successful. Thank you lee and garasia.”
Read More
“Lee & Garasia stand for accountability and responsibility. They are reliable, honest and are always constructively looking for a solution. A big thanks :)”
Read More

Can My Husband or Wife Visit Me In the US While I-130 Pending?

| Feb 16, 2021 | Common Immigration Questions and Problems, Visa Issues, Visa Waiver Issues

This is perhaps one of the most common questions that our office runs across in the context of a family petition.  Unfortunately, like almost everything in immigration, the answer is not black and white.  There are some things that can and cannot be done, and it all depends on your individual circumstances.

Options for US Citizens

If you are a US Citizen and have already filed an I-130 for your husband or wife, you should expect an average consular case to take approximately one year or more.  If your spouse is from a Visa Waiver Country and already applied for ESTA authorization, it may be possible for the spouse to visit you as a normal visitor for up to ninety days.  Alternatively, if your spouse does not have ESTA, your spouse may try to apply for a visitor’s visa from the US consulate.  The parties should be aware, however, that familial relationships and previous applications have to be disclosed.  Practically speaking, most officers are inclined to refuse a visitor’s visa if the US spouse has already filed for the foreign national out of concerns that the prospective immigrant does not have genuine non-immigrant intent.  In other words, the officer may suspect that the foreign national spouse is just looking to enter the United States with no intention of returning.  However, if the foreign national can persuade the officer that the purpose of the visit is truly temporary and can establish that he or she will return, it is possible to be granted a visa.

In both cases, the caveat is that if the foreign national is refused entry at the border—which is still possible, whether one has ESTA or a valid visitor’s visa—the refusal can have a negative impact on the immigrant visa case, depending on the circumstances.  Given this, couples who are of a more conservative bent may want to consider having the US Citizen visit the spouse abroad rather than risk any complications that may be incurred by the foreign national trying to visit the US.

K-3 Visa

Another theoretical option that may be available for spouses of US citizens is the K-3 visa.  This is a special type of visa that is not heavily utilized but if one is lucky enough to get one, allows the spouse of US citizen to enter the US while the I-130 petition is pending with USCIS.  In order to file for a K-3 visa, the I-130 must first be filed and received by the government.  However, if the I-130 petition is approved before the I-129f petition (for the K-3) is approved, the K-3 petition is administratively canceled and the couple must continue along the regular immigrant visa process.

Options for Spouses of Lawful Permanent Residents

Unfortunately, there are less options for spouses of green card holders.  For one thing, husbands or wives of lawful permanent residents are not eligible to apply for K-3 visas.  Therefore, the spouse will need to apply for a B-2 visitor visa unless he or she is from a Visa Waiver Country (in which case, the spouse may apply for ESTA authorization).

While physical separation for spouses can be extremely challenging on the relationship, couples must carefully consider the benefits against the risks of attempting to visit the US while an I-130 is pending.  Any refusals, denials, misrepresentations during the visa or ESTA application process, or any complications at the port of entry, can have significant and deleterious ramifications for green card case.

If you have already filed for your spouse abroad, and would like to explore what your spouse’s options are to visit you here, please call our office to discuss your matter.  We may be able to help your spouse prepare a strong non-immigrant visa application or possible K-3 visa petition. The above is general information only.  It is not specific legal advice nor intended to create an attorney client relationship.  If you need advice, please consult with an attorney.

Findlaw Network