Experience, Accessibility And Excellence For Over 25 Years

How Much Income Do I Have To Make To Sponsor My Relative? | New Guidelines

On Behalf of | Mar 10, 2022 | Family Immigration, I-864 |

Beginning this month, sponsors completing the I-864 Affidavit of Support should consult the latest HHS Poverty Guidelines for 2022 to determine whether the 125% threshold has been met.  (Sponsors who are on active duty in the US armed forces petitioning for their spouses or children need only meet 100%.)  The numbers have noticeably dropped this year, potentially affording a little more breathing room to those petitioners who may be economically challenged or experiencing financial hardship.

Sponsor’s Household Size               100%                           125% of Poverty Guideline

2                                                          $18,310                       $22,887

3                                                          $23,030                       $28,787

4                                                          $27,750                       $34,687

5                                                          $32,470                       $40,587

6                                                          $37,190                       $46,487

7                                                          $41,910                       $52,387

8                                                         $46,630                       $58,287

Add Person                                       Add $4720                  Add $5900

The affidavit of support is a required application that must be submitted with all family-based adjustment of status cases (unless the applicant is exempt).  If the petitioner sponsor does not meet 125% of the federal poverty guidelines, alternative means may need to be explored such as looking for a joint sponsor; using the income of the intending immigrant; or using assets to make up for the deficiency.  For more information on how to meet the requirements for the affidavit of support and avoid a charge of inadmissibility as a public charge, please contact our office for help.

The above is general information only.  It is not specific legal advice nor intended to create an attorney client relationship.  If you need advice, please consult with an attorney.