Experience, Accessibility And Excellence For Over 25 Years

Permanent Resident Family Visa

If you have are a lawful permanent resident of the United States, you may legally petition for members of your family (subject to certain restrictions). The following categories are eligible to immigrate as relatives of green card holders:

  • Spouses — Preference Category F2A
  • Unmarried Children (under 21 years of age) — Preference Category F2A
  • Unmarried Children (21 and older) — Preference Category F2B

Family members of permanent residents are currently not considered immediate relatives. As such, they are not for immigrant visas or status unless and until their priority dates have been reached. Depending on the country and category under which your relative falls under, visa wait times can range anywhere from one to seven years. Priority dates can be tracked under the Visa Bulletin, which is released by the Department of State every month. Additionally, married children of lawful permanent residents are not eligible to immigrate under this basis.

In order to file a petition for a relative, the permanent resident Petitioner must complete the I-130 form and enclose supporting documentation confirming proof of lawful permanent residence as well as proof of relationship to the person being filed for.

General Required Documents

Some documents that you will need to assemble, at a minimum, include but are not limited to:

  • Birth Certificates
  • Marriage Certificates
  • Divorce Certificates
  • Death Certificates
  • Proof of Lawful Permanent Residence
  • Proof of Financial Ability to Support the Immigrant

Any foreign document not in English must be accompanied by an English translation.

Our Office Concentrates In Family Immigration Law

There may be additional documents that you may need to obtain depending on the facts and circumstances of your case. Our office can help you to identify which documents may or may not be sufficient as well as spot any potential legal issues that may interfere with your relative’s immigration. Some very common problems include:

  • Lack of birth documents
  • Lack of identity documents
  • Insufficient or unreliable birth documents
  • Insufficient or unreliable marriage documents

In addition, there may be legal issues that affect the case including:

  • Previous periods of presence in the U.S.
  • Previous applications for visas
  • Entry issues
  • Criminal issues
  • Fraud or misrepresentation issues
  • Previous marriages
  • Adjustment of status eligibility

Contact Our Experienced Immigration Firm

Our office has been handling these cases for over 17 years. We have a proven track record of success in helping families obtain their visas both in the United States as well as at the American consulates abroad. We know what to look for, and we know how to address potentially complicated issues that may affect the immigration process. Contact us now to help you evaluate your case and file for your family member.