Newark Immigration Field Office
If you have an immigration interview scheduled in New Jersey, it will be scheduled at either one of the two offices, depending on where you live. There are two District Offices in New Jersey. There is the main District Office located in Newark, New Jersey, and there is a sub-office located in Mt. Laurel, New Jersey.
Some Facts About The Newark District Office
- District Director: John Thompson
- Field Office Director: Paulo Correira
- Physical and Mailing Address: Peter Rodino Federal Building, 970 Broad Street, Newark, NJ 07102.
Newark services the following counties: Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Hunterdon, Middlesex, Morris, Passaic, Somerset, Sussex, Union and Warren County. In other words, if you live in one of the above counties, your interview will most likely be scheduled here.
- Citizenship Interviews: Interviews for Naturalization are conducted on the 14th and 15th Floors.
- Adjustment of Status Interviews: Interviews are conducted on the 14th Floor.
- This is the federal building. There are plenty of parking lots close to the building. Due to the sheer volume of cases handled in this office, expect to be there for quite some time.
- A person cannot just go the Immigration Office without a previously scheduled interview appointment or an INFOPASS appointment. INFOPASS Appointments are scheduled online with the USCIS.gov website.
- If you pass and are approved for naturalization, you will ordinarily be scheduled to take your oath the same day. However, there may be several hours between when you pass and when you actually take the oath that day.
Attorneys are allowed to accompany clients to their interviews and in many highly sensitive or complex cases, probably should. While the attorney cannot answer questions directly, he or she is an official witness to the proceedings and may clarify legal issues with the Immigration Services Officer (ISO).